Refer A Friend
Thank you for your interest in this position.
We have received your application from Indeed, so the first step of your application is complete.
To finish your application we will email you further details.
Senior Support Worker - Mt Gambier
Baptist Care SA works collaboratively with South Australians from all walks of life. We provide Camping and Adventure Programs, Disability Services, Homelessness Services, Out of Home Care and Youth, Family and Community Programs. We are committed to finding a way forward for everyone we serve and supporting them to achieve their life goals. We find ways to make people's lives better.
About the role – Permanent Part-Time; minimum 0.6FTE with potential of additional hours
Our Residential Care Service located in Mount Gambier provides accommodation and support to children young people who are under the Guardianship of the Chief Executive and for whom kinship care or foster care are not currently an option. The aim of the service is to provide a safe and stable therapeutic environment to young people until they can transition back with family, into Foster Care or into Independent Living. Our Residential Houses are staffed 24/7 with either 3 or 4 young people residing in each home. The houses may provide support to sibling groups or a group of young people who have the same support needs. We also have four houses set up to support young people living with a disability.
As our Senior Support Worker, you will provide vital after-hours assistance to your colleagues who are supporting children and young people in our residential houses across Mount Gambier. Providing over the phone and, at times, in person assistance, you will calmly talk through situations to provide support and advice regarding critical incidents. When you are not on the phone, you will be responsible for creatively managing shifts and rostering.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Supporting and advising staff on shift with trauma informed suggestions and positive behaviour support strategies during stressful situations
- Responding calmly and promptly to accidents and crises situations
- Ensuring that staff are effectively supporting during a critical incident, including debriefing and follow ups
- Rostering and allocating shifts
- Completing administrative tasks such as reporting and handovers.
You will be an experienced and highly passionate support worker who is looking for the next step in your career. You will thrive supporting your team, as well as supporting children and young people in care. You are someone who describes yourself as calm under pressure, supportive and approachable. You are confident in your decision-making skills and are able to solve problems quickly in a highly pressurised environment.
You will also have the following skills and experience:
- A minimum Certificate IV in Family, Youth and Child Intervention, Youth Work, Community Services, Mental Health
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and the ability to work with a diverse range of people
- Outstanding organisational skills and the ability to handle multiple priorities and competing deadlines
- Have creative problem-solving skills and the ability to understand complex issues and scenarios and break it all down into manageable steps
- The ability to provide advice and support to colleagues who are flustered or distressed using a trauma informed lens in a calm and soothing manner
- Has the ability to deal with sensitive issues with empathy and always maintain confidentiality
- Developed resilience to provide consistent and ongoing support to clients with high complex needs
Baptist Care SA is committed to the safety and protection of all children and vulnerable people and as such applicants will be considered in accordance with our safety practices and suitability.
You will be required to have, or be willing to obtain:
- Full unrestricted South Australia Driver’s Licence
- DHS Child-Related Employment Screening or Working With Children check
- National Police Clearance
- A Successful Psychological Suitability Assessment in accordance with Department of Child Protection requirements
- Provide First Aid Certificate (HTLAID003)
- Safe Environments for Children and Young People Certificate
- Ability to work outside of normal office hours may be required
- Use of own vehicle
- To be considered for employment with Baptist Care SA, you must have an up-to-date Covid 19 Vaccination status or be able to provide an appropriate medical exemption.
Why work with us?
Baptist Care SA offers a flexible and supportive environment where you are encouraged to be the best version of yourself.
You’ll also receive:
- A competitive salary on the SCHADS Award (Level 3.1, base rate $34.04 per hour plus loading) + superannuation
- Salary Packaging in addition to increase your take home pay
- A corporate health plan with BUPA offering discounted health insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Support for Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander employees cultural and community obligations, including NAIDOC Leave and up to five days Paid Cultural Leave
We do not accept applications via email, however, for more information, please see our website, or reach out to Linda Boucher at firstname.lastname@example.org for a confidential discussion.
Please note, screening and interviews may take place prior to the closing date – applications may also close before this date.